1. Rose, B.R., Thompson, C.E., McDonald, A.M., Henderson, B.R., Cossart, Y.E. and Morris, B.J. (1987) Cell biology of cultured lesions.
Br. J. Dermatology , 116, 311-322.
2. Parker, B.J., Cossart, Y.E., Thompson, C.H., Rose, B.R. and Henderson, B.R. (1987) The clinical management and laboratory assessment of lesions.
Med. J. Aust ., 147, 59-63.
3. Henderson, B.R., Thompson, C.H., Rose, B.R., Cossart, Y.E. and Morris, B.J. (1987) Detection of specific types of human papillomavirus by DNA hybridisation.
J. Medical Virology , 21, 381-393.
4. Chee, M.S., Rizos, H., Henderson, B.R., Baker, R. and Stewart, T.S. (1991) Subfamilies of serine tRNA genes in the bovine genome.
Mol. Gen. Genet., 231, 106-112.
5. Henderson, B.R. and Kefford, R.F. (1991) Conservation and potential role of RNA-instability motifs in urokinase gene 3'-untranslated sequences.
J. Natl. Cancer Inst., 83, 1103-1104.
McDonald, D.A. and Kefford, R.F. (1992) Post-transcriptional regulation of
urokinase plasminogen activator gene expression occurs in the
nucleus of BC1 rat mammary cells.
Int. J. Cancer, 50, 918-923.
Tansey, W.P., Phillips, S.M., Ramshaw, I.A. and Kefford, R.F. (1992)
Transcriptional and posttranscriptional activation of urokinase plasminogen
activator gene expression in metastatic tumor cells.
Cancer Res., 52, 2489-2496.
Henderson, B.R. and
Sleigh, M.J. (1992) TATA box-independent transcription of the human tissue
plasminogen activator gene initiates within a sequence conserved
in related genes.
FEBS Lett., 309, 130-134.
9. Henderson, B.R. and Kefford, R.F. (1993) Dexamethasone decreases urokinase plasminogen activator mRNA stability in MAT 13762 rat mammary carcinoma cells.
Br. J. Cancer, 67, 99-101.
10. Henderson, B.R. (1993) Expression of the nm23-2/NDP kinase alpha gene in rat mammary and oral carcinomas of varying metastatic potential.
Br. J. Cancer, 68, 874-878.
Emery-Goodman, A., Hirling,
H., Scarpellino, L., Henderson, B. and Kühn, L.C. (1993) Iron regulatory
factor expressed from recombinant baculovirus: conversion
between the RNA-binding apoprotein and Fe-S cluster containing aconitase.
Nuc. Acids Res., 21, 1457-1461.
12. Henderson, B.R., Seiser, C. and Kühn, L.C. (1993) Characterization of a second RNA-binding protein in rodents with specificity for iron-responsive elements.
J. Biol. Chem., 268, 27327-27334.
Hirling, H., Henderson,
B.R. and Kühn, L.C. (1994) Mutational analysis of the [4Fe-4S]-cluster
converting iron regulatory factor from its RNA-binding form to
EMBO J., 13, 453-461.
Menotti, E., Bonnard, C. and Kühn, L.C. (1994) Optimal sequence and structure
of iron-responsive elements: Selection of RNA stem-loops with
high affinity for iron regulatory factor.
J. Biol. Chem., 269, 17481-17489.
15. Kuhn, L.C., Hirling, H., Henderson, B., Emery-Goodman, A., Neupert, B. and Kaldy, P. (1994) The structure of iron regulatory factor.
Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 356, 101-109.
16. Henderson, B.R., McDonald, D., Jones, S. and Kefford, R.F. (1995) A novel model for metastasis suppression involving regulation of nuclear precursor mRNA stability.
Int. J. Oncology, 6, 483-486.
Henderson, B.R. and
Kühn, L.C. (1995)
modulation of the RNA-binding proteins IRP-1 and IRP-2 in response to iron:
IRP-2 inactivation requires
translation of another protein.
J. Biol. Chem., 270, 20509-20515
Kohler, S.A., Henderson,
B.R. and Kühn, L.C. (1995) Succinate dehydrogenase b mRNA of drosophila
melanogaster has a functional iron responsive element in its 5'
J. Biol. Chem., 270, 30781-30786
19. Henderson, B.R., Menotti, E.M. and Kühn, L.C. (1996) Iron regulatory proteins 1 and 2 bind distinct sets of RNA target sequences.
J. Biol. Chem., 271, 4900-4908
Henderson, B.R. and
Percipalle, P. (1997) Interactions between HIV Rev and nuclear import and
export factors: The Rev nuclear localisation signal mediates specific
binding to human importin-beta
J. Mol. Biol., 274, 693-707.
21. Menotti, E.M., Henderson, B.R. and Kuhn, L.C. (1998) Translational regulation of mRNAs with distinct IRE sequences by Iron Regulatory Proteins 1 and 2.
J. Biol. Chem., 273, 1821-1824.
22. Henderson, B.R. and Eleftheriou, A. (2000) A comparison of the activity, sequence specificity and CRM1-dependence of different nuclear export signals.
Exp. Cell Res., 256,213-224.
23. Henderson, B. R . (2000) Nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling of APC regulates beta-catenin sub-cellular localization and turnover.
Nature Cell Biology, 2, 653-660.
24. Rodriguez, J. and Henderson, B.R. (2000) Identification of a functional nuclear export sequence in the BRCA1 tumor suppressor.
J. Biol. Chem., 275, 38589-38596.
25. Eleftheriou, A., Yoshida, M. and Henderson, B.R. (2001) Nuclear export of human beta-catenin can occur independent of CRM1 and the APC tumor suppressor.
J. Biol. Chem., 276, 25883-25888.
26. Lixin, R., Efthymiadis, A., Henderson, B. and Jans, D.A. (2001) Novel properties of the nucleolar targeting signal of angiogenin.
Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm., 284, 185-193.
27. Lam, M.H.C., Henderson, B., Gillespie, M.T. and Jans, D.A. (2001) Dynamics of leptomycin B-sensitive nucleocytoplasmic flux of parathyroid hormone-related protein.
Traffic, 2, 812-819.
Galea, M.A., Eleftheriou,
A. and Henderson, B.R. (2001) ARM domain-dependent nuclear import of APC
is stimulated by the B56alpha sub-unit of protein
J. Biol. Chem., 276, 45833-45839.
Fabbro, M., Rodriguez,
J.A., Baer, R. and Henderson, B.R. (2002) BARD1 induces BRCA1
intranuclear foci formation by increasing RING-dependent BRCA1 nuclear
import and inhibiting BRCA1 nuclear export.
J. Biol. Chem., 277, 21315-21324.
30. Henderson, B.R., Galea, M.A., Schuechner, S. and Leung, L. (2002) LEF-1 blocks APC-mediated nuclear export and degradation of beta-catenin.
J. Biol. Chem., 277, 24258-24264.
Macmillan, E.M., Luwyche, J.K., Gardner, J.M., Tavner, F.J., Jans, D.A., Henderson,
B.R. and Gonda, T.J. (2003) Myb-binding protein 1a is a
nucleocytoplasmic shuttling protein that utilizes CRM1-dependent and -independent nuclear export pathways.
Exp. Cell Res., 289, 108-123.
32. Fabbro, M., Schuechner, S., Au, W.W. and Henderson, B.R. (2004) BARD-1 regulates BRCA1 apoptotic function by a mechanism involving nuclear retention.
Exp. Cell Res. 298,
Rodriguez, J.A., Schuechner, S., Au, W.W.Y., Fabbro, M. and Henderson,
B.R. (2004) Nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling of BARD1 contributes to its
and is regulated by dimerization with BRCA1.
Oncogene 23, 1809-1820.
34. Rodriguez, J.A., Au, W.W.Y. and Henderson, B.R. (2004) Cytoplasmic mislocalization of BRCA1 caused by cancer-associated mutations in the BRCT domain.
Exp. Cell Res. 293, 14-21.
35. Au, W.W.Y. and Henderson, B.R. (2005) The BRCA1 RING and BRCT domains cooperate in targeting BRCA1 to ionizing radiation-induced nuclear foci.
J. Biol. Chem. 280, 6993-7001.
36. Brocardo, M., Näthke, I. and Henderson, B.R. (2005) Redefining the subcellular location and transport of APC: novel insights using a panel of antibodies.
EMBO Reports 6, 184-190.
37. Schüchner, S., Tembe, V., Rodriguez, J.A. and Henderson, B.R. (2005) Nuclear targeting and cell cycle regulatory function of human BARD1.
J. Biol. Chem. 280, 8855-8861.
Lovelock, P., Healey, S.,
Wendy Au, Eleanor Sum, Ee Ming Wong, Andrea Tesoriero, Ross Brinkworth, Anna
Bekessy, Orland Diez, Mark Jenkins, Helene Renard,
John Hopper, Paul Waring,
kConFab, Sean Tavtigian, David Goldgar, Geoff Lindeman, Jane Visvader, Fergus
Couch, Beric Henderson, Melissa Southey,
Georgia Chenevix-Trench, Amanda Spurdle, Melissa Brown (2006) BRCA1 variant 1708E is mislocalised to the cytoplasm of human cells in vitro and is associated with
J. Med. Genetics 43, 74-83.
Sharma, M., Leung, L.,
Brocardo, M., Henderson, J., Flegg, C. and Henderson, B. R. (2006)
Membrane localization of adenomatous polyposis coli protein at cellular
protrusions: Targeting sequences and regulation by beta-catenin.
J. Biol. Chem 281, 17140-17149.
Sharma, M. and Henderson,
B.R. (2007) IQGAP1 regulates beta-catenin at membrane ruffles and its role
in macropinocytosis of N-cadherin and adenomatous
J. Biol. Chem. 282, 8545-8556 .
41. Au, W.W.Y. and Henderson, B.R. (2007) Identification of sequences that target BRCA1 to nuclear foci following alkylative DNA damage.
Cellular Signalling 19, 1879-1892
42. Zanella, F., Rosada, A., Blanco, F., Henderson, B.R., Carnero, A. and Link, W. (2007) A HTS approach to screen for antagonists of the nuclear export machinery using
high content cell based assays.
Assay and Drug Development Technologies 5, 333-342
Nicoletti, I., Felicetta De Marco, M., Bigerna, B., Pucciarini, A., Mannucci,
R., Paola Martelli, M., Liso, A., Mecucci, C., Fabbiano, F., Martelli, M.F., Henderson,
and Falini, B. (2007) Born to be exported: C-terminus nuclear export signals of different strength ensure cytoplasmic accumulation of nucleophosmin leukemic mutants.
Cancer Research 67, 6230-6237
V. and Henderson, B.R. (2007)
BARD1 translocation to mitochondria
correlates with Bax oligomerization, loss of mitochondrial membrane potential
J. Biol. Chem. 282, 20513-20522
Lovelock, P.K., Spurdle,
A.B., Mok, M.T.S., Farrugia, D.J., Lakhani, S.R., Healey, S., Arnold, S.,
Buchanan, D., kConFab,
Couch, F.J., Henderson,
B.R., Goldgar, D.E.,
Tavtigian, S., Chenevix-Trench, G. and Brown, M.A.
Identification of BRCA1 missense
substitutions that confer partial functional activity: potential
moderate risk variants?
Breast Cancer Research, 9:R82
Brocardo, M., Lei, Y.,
Tighe, A., Taylor, S.S., Mok, M.T. and Henderson, B.R. (2008)
Mitochondrial targeting of adenomatous polyposis coli protein is stimulated by
truncating cancer mutations: Regulation of Bcl-2 and implications for cell survival
J. Biol. Chem. 283, 5950-5959
47. Fabbro, M. and Henderson, B.R. (2008) BARD1 regulates BRCA1-mediated transactivation of the p21WAF1/CIP1 and Gadd45 promoters.
Cancer Letters 263, 189-196
Johnson, M., Sharma, M.,
Jamieson, C., Henderson, J.M., Mok, M.T.S., Bendall, L. and Henderson, B.R.
(2009) Regulation of beta-catenin trafficking to the membrane in
Maniccia, A.W., Lewis, C.,
Begum, N., Xu, J., Cui, J., Chipitsyna, G., Aysola, K., Reddy, V., Bhat, G.,
Fujimura, Y., Henderson, B., Reddy, E.S.P and Rao, V.N. (2009)
Mitochondrial localization, ELK-1 transcriptional regulation and growth inhibitory functions of BRCA1, BRCA1a and BRCA1b proteins.
J. Cell. Physiol 219, 634-641
Zheng, G., Lyons G.J, Wang,
Y., Tang, T.K., Min, D., Coombes, J., Rangan, G.K., Hu, M., Henderson, B.R.,
Alexander, S.I. and Harris, D.C.H. (2009)
Disruption of E-cadherin
By Matrix Metalloproteinase Directly Mediates Tubular Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition Downstream of TGF- b 1.
Am. J. Physiol. 175, 580-591
51. Mok, M.T.S. and Henderson, B.R. (2010) A comparison of BRCA1 nuclear localization with 14 DNA damage response proteins and domains: identification of specific
differences between BRCA1 and 53BP1 at DNA damage-induced foci.
Cellular Signalling 22, 47-56
52. Brodie, K. and Henderson, B.R. (2010) Differential modulation of BRCA1 and BARD1 nuclear localisation and foci assembly by DNA damage.
Cellular Signalling 22, 291-302
C., Sharma, M., Medina-Palazon, C., Jamieson, C., Galea, M., Brocardo, M.,
Mills, K. and Henderson, B.R. (2010) Nuclear export and centrosome
the protein phosphatase 2A subunit B56alpha: Role of B56alpha in nuclear export of the catalytic subunit.
J. Biol. Chem. 285, 18144-18154
54. Johnson, M.J., Sharma, M., Brocardo, M.G. and Henderson, B.R. (2011) IQGAP1 translocates to the nucleus in early S-phase and contributes to cell cycle progression
after DNA replication arrest
Int. J. Biochem and Cell Biol. 43, 65-73.
55. Jamieson, C., Sharma, M and Henderson, B.R. (2011) Regulation of beta-catenin nuclear dynamics by GSK-3beta involves a LEF-1 positive feedback loop.
Traffic 12, 983-999
56. Brocardo, M.G., Borowiec, J. and Henderson, B.R. (2011) Adenomatous polyposis coli protein regulates the cellular response to DNA replication stress.
Int. J. Biochem and Cell Biol. 43, 1354-1364
K., Mok, M.T.S. and Henderson, B.R. (2012) Characterization of BARD1
targeting and dynamics at the centrosome: The role of CRM1, BRCA1 and the
Cellular Signalling 24, 451-459
58. Mok, M.T.S. and Henderson B.R. (2012) A two-step FACS approach to isolate genetically modified mammalian cells with IPTG-inducible gene expression.
Cytometry 81, 101-104
K. and Henderson, B.R. (2012)
Characterization of BRCA1 centrosome
targeting, dynamics and function: A role for the nuclear export signal, CRM1
Aurora A kinase.
J. Biol. Chem 287, 7701-7716
60. Mok, M.T.S. and Henderson, B.R. (2012) The in vivo dynamic organization of BRCA1-A complex proteins at DNA damage-induced nuclear foci.
Traffic 13, 800-814
Mok, M.T.S. and Henderson,
B.R. (2012) Three-dimensional imaging reveals the spatial separation of
gammaH2AX-MDC1-53BP1 and RNF8-RNF168-BRCA1-A
complexes at ionizing radiation-induced foci.
Radiotherapy and Oncology 103, 415-420
62. Mok, M.T.S. and Henderson, B.R. (2012) The in vivo dynamic interplay of MDC1 and 53BP1 at DNA damage-induced nuclear foci.
Int. J. Biochem and Cell Biol . 44, 1398-1409
M. and Henderson, B.R. (2012) The scaffolding protein IQGAP1 co-localises
with actin at the cytoplasmic face of the nuclear envelope: implications for
Bioarchitecture 2, 138-142
Johnson, M., Sharma, M., Mok, M.T. and Henderson,
B.R. (2013) Stimulation of in vivo nuclear transport dynamics of actin and
its co-factors IQGAP1 and Rac1 in
response to DNA replication stress.
BBA Mol Cell Res. 1833, 2334-2347
Y., Henderson, B.R., Emmanuel, C., Harnett , P. and DeFazio, A. (2015)
Inhibition of ANKRD1 sensitizes human ovarian cancer cells to endoplasmic
Oncogene 34, 485-495 (IF= 8.56)
E., Henderson, B.R. and Brocardo, M.G. (2014)
Targeting the DNA
replication checkpoint by pharmacologic inhibition of Chk1 kinase: a strategy
to sensitize APC mutant colon cancer cells to 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy.
Oncotargets 5, 9889-9990
67. Mok, M.T.S., Cheng, A.S.L. and Henderson, B.R. (2014) The ubiquitin ligases RNF8 and RNF168 display rapid but distinct dynamics at DNA repair foci in living cells.
Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 57, 27-34
S.C., Garcia, M. I., Wagner II, L.E., Rodriguez, A.M., Chintapalli, S.V.,
Snyder, R.R., Hankins, G.D.V., Henderson, B.R., Brodie, K.M., Yule,
D.I., van Rossum,
D.B. and Boehning, D. (2015) The BRCA1 tumor suppressor binds to Inositol 1,4,5-Trisphosphate receptors to stimulate apoptotic calcium release.
J. Biol. Chem 290, 7304-7313
V., Martino-Echarri, E, Marzec, K.A., Mok, M.T.S., Brodie, K.M.,
Mills, K., Lei, Y., DeFazio, A., Rizos, H., Kettle, E., Boadle, R. and Henderson,
BARD1 BRCT domain contributes to p53 binding, cytoplasmic and mitochondrial localization, and apoptotic function.
Cellular Signalling 27, 1763-1771
Jamieson, C., Lui, C., Brocardo, M.G. and Henderson,
B.R. (2015) Rac1 augments Wnt signaling by stimulating beta-catenin-LEF-1
complex assembly independent of
beta-catenin nuclear import.
J. Cell Sci 128, 3933-3946
71. Lui, C., Ashton, C., Sharma, M, Brocardo, M.G. and Henderson, B.R. (2016) APC functions at the centrosome to stimulate microtubule growth.
Int. J. Biochem and Cell Biol . 70, 39-47
72. Mills, K., Brocardo, M.G. and Henderson, B.R. (2016) APC binds the Miro/Milton motor complex to stimulate transport of mitochondria to the plasma membrane.
Molecular Biology of the Cell 27, 466-482 (highlighted by the editors)
73. Jamieson, C., Mills, K.M., Lui, C., Semaan, C., Molloy, M.P., Sharma, M., Forwood, J.K. and Henderson, B.R . (2016) Characterisation of a beta-catenin nuclear
Exp Cell Res. 341, 196-206.
74. Martino-Echarri, E., Brocardo, M.G., Mills, K.M. and Henderson, B,R . (2016) Tankyrase inhibitors stimulate the ability of tankyrases to bind axin and drive assembly
of beta-catenin degradation competent axin puncta.
PLoS One 11(3):e0150484.
Cancers (Basel) 8(5). pii: E47
76. Marzec, K.A., Martino-Echarri, E., Irminger-Finger, I. and Henderson, B.R . (2016) BARD1 splice variants display mislocalisation in breast cancer cells and can alter the
Cancer Letters 2016 381(1):149-155
Exp. Cell Res. 348(2):132-145
Dickson, K.A., Cole, A.J., Gill, A.J.,
Clarkson, A., Gard, G.B., Chou, A., Kennedy, C.J.,
., Australian Ovarian Cancer Study
(AOCS), Fereday, S.,
Traficante, N., Alsop, K., Bowtell, D.D., DeFazio, A.,
Clifton-Bligh, R., Marsh, D.J. (2016) The RING finger domain E3 ubiquitin ligases BRCA1 and the RNF20/RNF40
Invited Review Articles
79. Henderson, B.R. (1996) Iron Regulatory Proteins 1 and 2.
BioEssays 18, 39-46
80. Henderson, B.R. and Fagotto, F. (2002) The ins and outs of APC and beta-catenin nuclear transport.
EMBO Reports, 3, 834-839.
81. Fabbro, M. and Henderson, B.R. (2003) Regulation of tumor suppressor proteins by nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling.
Exp. Cell Res. 282, 59-69
82. Henderson, B.R. (2003) Nuclear transport as a target for cancer therapies.
Drug Discovery Today, 8, 249. Invited Commentary.
83. Henderson, B.R. (2005) Regulation of BRCA1, BRCA2 and BARD1 intracellular trafficking.
Bioessays 27, 884-893.
84. Tembe, V. and Henderson, B.R. (2007) Protein localisation response to DNA damage.
Cellular Signalling 19, 1113-1120.
85. Brocardo, M. and Henderson, B.R. (2008) Shuttling of APC to the membrane, nucleus and beyond.
Trends in Cell Biology 18, 587-596.
86. Johnson, M., Sharma, M. and Henderson, B.R. (2009) IQGAP1 regulation and roles in cancer.
Cellular Signalling 21, 1471-1478
87. Henderson, B.R. (2010) Cryptic mitochondrial targeting signals in human ARF: clues to controlling cancer?
Cell Cycle 9, 866-867
C., Mills, K., Brocardo, M.G., Sharma, M. and Henderson, B.R. (2012) APC
as a mobile scaffold: Regulation and function at the nucleus, centrosomes and
IUBMB Life 64, 209-214.
89. Jamieson, C., Sharma, M. and Henderson, B.R. (2012) Wnt Signaling from membrane to nucleus: beta-catenin caught in a loop.
Int. J. Biochem and Cell Biol. 44, 847-850
90. Henderson, B.R. (2012) BRCA1 intracellular dynamics, transport and function.
91. Jamieson, C., Sharma, M. and Henderson, B.R. (2014) Targeting the beta-catenin nuclear transport pathway in cancer.
Sem. Cancer Biol . 27, 20-29.
Invited Book Chapters
92. Henderson, B.R. and Kühn, L.C. (1997) Interaction between Iron Regulatory Proteins and their RNA target sequences, Iron-Responsive Elements.
In “Cytoplasmic fate of messenger RNA” (Ph. Jeanteur, ed.)
Progress in Molecular and Subcellular Biology Vol. 18, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 117-139
93. Henderson, B.R. (1999) Post-transcriptional regulation. In
Encyclopedia of Molecular Biology (T. Creighton, ed.) John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp.1927-1931
Methods in Molecular Biology (E. Vincan ed., Humana Press NY) Volume 468, pp. 77-89.
M. and Henderson, B.R. (2010) “Methods to measure the nuclear export of
beta-catenin using fixed cell and live cell assays" in “Transcription
Methods and Protocols"
Methods in Molecular Biology (P. Higgins ed., Humana Press NY) Volume 647, pp. 187-197
Johnson, M., Brocardo, M., Jamieson, C. and Henderson, B.R. (2014) “
Wnt signalling proteins associate with the
nuclear pore complex: Implications
for cancer” in “ Cancer biology and the nuclear envelope”Advances in Experimental Medicine, 773, 353-372